We took Yona in for radiographs (x-rays) on February 9. (We mentioned that after she had a visit from the vets we might take her in if her limp did not improve). Dr. Carter is going to send me some photos of the visit- I busted the camera during the event so it’s going to take me a little longer to get you some photos of Yona lying on a stretcher or an x-ray table.
X-rays and blood were taken. To be brief, the radiographs showed that one of the bones in Yona’s front limb, the radius, was growing more bent then it should be. We’re in the process of sharing the radiographs with appropriate people (I.e. zoo veterinarians, orthopedists) to come up with the best plan of action.
She may require surgery- we’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, we hope this won’t delay her introduction to meet the rest of the bears. Remember, introduction won’t be lovey-dovey, there will be difficulties.